Sunday, June 8, 2008

Expectations

A lot of my unhappiness stems from expectations I have. Expectations of what my day will be like. Expectations of what a relationship I have will turn into. Expectations of what my children will do with their lives. And expectations almost never become reality.

Do an experiment. Draw a line down the middle of your journal paper. On one side write down what you are worried about. On the other side write down what you think is going to happen. Each and everytime you are worried about something repeat the process. Then see if you see a pattern.

Our expectations can get us in trouble. Our life unfolding is a wonderful and joyous surprise. And although there is sadness and pain it is always changing to unfold new lessons. So today is what I have. And today I am doing well.

No comments: